Friday, January 18, 2008

Songs I like

I got inspired by Camie's blog to add music because she had a LOT of cool 80's tunes on there. I went and added that music player to this blog, but did not make it auto-play. I must admit that there is not enough time for me to detail every song I like, but I'm able to add 99 songs to the playlist, so when I'm feeling like adding a few song I'll be doing that. In the meantime I thought of cool songs named after people, and being the family centric person that I am I'll start with Melissa. My favorite Melissa song is "Sweet Melissa" by the Allman Brothers. My Melissa also is very sweet. :) I also like "Brown Eyed Girl" for her, but it doesn't mention her name. Next up is Jesse. He has it easy! "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield will make his friends envious forever. It's a darn shame that they misspelled his name, but the song is awesome and the video is a standard of how bad videos used to be in 1981, topped in awesomely badness only by Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield". If you own the DVD of "13 Going on 30" you own both original music videos. For you kids reading this blog, once upon a time MTV used to be cool and play music videos. Now it sucks. Owen has a song called Song for Owen. Brilliant! It's by Timothy B. Schmit. Yeah, I've never hear of him either. I actually haven't heard the song, but the lyrics make me think of the moment that I'll say goodbye to him in the MTC when he's older. Here they are.
Do you remember
Not so long ago
When I could just pick you up
And warm your soul
We'd sit and talk about the difference between
The world of bad and good
And I was doing the best I could
Bedtime stories
Read you off to sleep
Wishing you all my love
And sweet, sweet dreams
I'd wait until you were closing your eyes
Just because I thought I should
And I'd wonder while I watched you breathe
What this crazy world had up it's sleeve
I was doing the best I could
"Time Flies"--So the saying goes
But I don't know if it's true
Because every dayd is so full of life
And so much of it is you
Now you stand-so tall
And look straight in my eyes
Longing with all your might
To be strong and wise
So on summer nights when you're driving away
I hope you understand
That this new found freedom you have earned
Worries me till you return
And I'm doing the best I can
And my love for you will never end
If you're not crying right now YOU'RE NOT HUMAN!!! Just kidding. Finally there are songs about Jeff. Yep, there are no songs about Jeff. That doesn't make me feel too bad because Bill Cosby did one of the funniest bits of comedy about a boy named Jeffrey in a plane. It was absolutely true. All Jeff's are the same. Anywho, listen to the music I posted. I'll try to update it frequently, and if you're brave enough, leave me a comment about your favorite song with your name!

3 comments:

  1. FYI, Timothy B. Schmit is the bass player for the Eagles, and prior to that was bassist for one of the first (and best) country-rock bands, Poco. He sings "I Can't Tell You Why," from the Eagles "The Long Run" album. "Song for Owen" is from his last solo album "Feed the Fire" and is about his daughter Owen. As a member of the Eagles (since 1977) he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can find a song with "Claudine" in it, I'll buy you a milkshake. Or "Jarom" for that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jarom is the easy one. Remember this one?
    1st and 2nd books of Nephi,
    Jacob, Enos, Jarom, Omni
    Words of Mormon and Mosiah,
    Singing this is so much fun.
    Alma, Helaman, 3rd and 4th Nephi,
    Mormon, Ether and Moroni,
    something something something something
    Singing this is so much fun!

    My favorite flavors of milkshakes are strawberry banana or bubble gum :)

    Oh yeah, The Rolling Stones sang a song called "Claudine" after Claudine Longet, a singer that killed a famous singer. Here are some of the lyrics:

    "Claudine's back in jail again/She only does it at weekends/Claudine Oh, Claudine/Now only Spider knows for sure/But he ain't talkin' about it any more/Is he, Claudine?/There's blood in the chalet/And blood in the snow/Washed her hands of the whole damn show/The best thing you could do, Claudine/Shot him once right through the head/Shot him twice right through the chest/The judge says it was an accident, Claudine/Accidents will happen (In the best homes)/What about the children, baby?/Poor, poor children/Now I threaten my wife with a gun/I always leave the safety on/I recommend it/Claudine/Now she pistol whipped me once or twice/But she never tried to take my life(What do you think about that)/Claudine/The prettiest girl I ever seen/I saw you on the movie screen/Hope you don't try to make a sacrifice of me/Claudine (Don't get trigger happy with me)/Don't wave a gun at me (Claudine)"

    ReplyDelete