Monday, January 14, 2008

How to make my Darn Fine Salsa

I can now say my homemade salsa is award winning. I made some for a combined youth activity in my ward where people got to try different foods from around the world. My salsa actually brought home two awards, one for the hottest food, and the other for food we hope we never ever have to eat again. Noobs. So here's how to make my salsa: First off, since I got rid of my stone bowl (molcajete) from Mexico I've been using a cool little salsa maker that Melissa got me. I think it's a tupperware or pampered chef unit, but anything like this Salsa Maker will be good. I'd stay away from blenders unless you want to be able to drink your salsa through a straw. All my salsas have the same base to it, then from there you can make it as hot or mild as you like.

3-4 small tomatoes (Romas work very nice)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon salt
1+ Tablespoon garlic powder

From here you can differentiate your salsas and let your inner Mexican go loco! For a milder yet delicious salsa add

1/2 cup chopped onions
2 jalapeƱos with the seeds removed

More spicy? Try no onions and 3 chili serranos.
Want more hair on your chest than Sasquatch? 3-4 Habaneros, Cayenne peppers and squeeze a lime into it.

More ways to spice things up? There are three ways I can prepare the tomatoes and chilis. First is raw. Just clean them with water, remove any stems and you're ready to go. Second is fire grilled. I'll put them on my BBQ on the middle rack at medium temperature until the skin on the tomatoes break and the skin on the chilis begin to blister. After they cool down then just peel off the skin and add them to the mix. Third, lightly fried. John if there is a better cooking term for it let me know. Just add a little bit of cooking oil to a frying pan and then add in the tomatoes and chilis. You'll get the skins peeling off like the second method, but not as bad. Once you're done wipe off the excess oil. There is something about the added heat that makes it a little more spicy, but whatever method you use will still yield some seriously tasty stuff. Word of caution: Clean your hands and arms off with soap when you are done. Repeat. Few things in life are as unpleasant as chili juice in your eyes. If your mouth is burning from the salsa, try drinking milk or eating a piece of bread or tortilla, but don't drink water. Also, adding salt and/or lime juice will lessen the strength. I imagine mangos would also work. You could also add cilantro if you like.

There you have it folks. Mighty fine salsa that can be served at your next social event. Disfruta!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, lightly fried seems technical enough for me. Your salsa sounds pretty tasty; I'll have to make it this Sunday (as Sunday is the only time I have to go all out and cook).

    ReplyDelete