Friday, January 25, 2008

It's really really hard to warm the globe


I guess this is kind of a continuation of my last blog, but I wanted to drive home a point. The energy it takes to warm the globe, and by that I mean the atmosphere and water in the oceans, is a lot more than you think. So here are some facts: The mass of the atmosphere is 5,3000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms (1). The mass of earth's oceans is 1,400,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms (2). From here on out I'll use scientific notation to shrink the numbers :) The next thing you need to understand is specific heat capacity. Think of this as the amount of energy you need to heat up something to a certain degree. In our little experiment, the heat capacities of air and seawater are 1.005 kJ/kg.K and 3.93 kJ/kg.K respectively. For our experiment we are only going to raise the temperature of the earth 1 degree Celsius. Now, we'll multiply the specific heat capacities to the mass and add them together. (Pulls out and dusts off scientific calculator) And the answer is you need 5.5 x10^21 kJ of energy. (That's 5.5 Zettajoules for all you geeks out there) Now if you're the sun you have no problem producing that kind of energy, since we get 3.85 ZJ per year from the sun. But for us humans? We would have to outperform THE SUN for about a year and a half just to accomplish the task of a global temperature increase of 1 degree. Our biggest power plants that we have produce about 5 gigawatts of power each year. We would need about 2.5 billion of them running each year to match what the sun puts out every second! Seeing as how the sun runs on the very effective and efficient method of nuclear fusion (making hydrogen atoms into helium atoms) and we run on burning fossil fuels which is extremely inefficient by comparasion, I'm just not seeing how we can do it! I really do think that global warming is just hype and hysteria. You want to be green and save energy and not pollute, great, but don't try to tell me that my 100w light bulb is going to "warm the globe".

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree. It is just gibberish and a way for a certain agenda in America to cry for a reason to raise taxes and spend money. We cannot have that much impact on this earth. I even mentioned this in my blog last summer. http://jeffmaynes.blogspot.com/2007/08/just-hot-year.html

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete