Saturday, January 26, 2008

Old School Peanut Butter Bars


Warning! The following recipe is more addicting that drugs, alcohol and red rope licorice combined!!! Behold! The long lost recipe that your lunch lady used when you were a child for those supremely tasty Peanut Butter Bars

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 cups oatmeal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter

Mix together and bake in a lightly greased 13" x 18 1/2" pan at 350o F for 15-20 minutes (underbake). When cool spread with a thin layer of peanut butter then frost.

Frosting

1/4 cup softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp cocoa
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk

mix

Using a pizza cutter works pretty well in slicing up the pan. We usually do a 4 x 6 grid yielding 24 squares. Now if you are on any kind of diet or trying to eat healthy I'll tell you right now this is not a good idea to make. But is it delicious? Oh man, give me a half gallon of milk (because these things are very rich) and a couple of squares and I'm in heaven. So enjoy in moderation, yeah right, just make enough so that everyone gets their fill :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm out of oatmeal, but I'm temped to borrow some from my neighbor just so I can make some. Yummmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was out of everything so i just ate my neighbor who had recently eaten a peanut butter bar, sooo goood

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your picture, this is THE recipe I've been looking for. My mouth is watering, and I have an uncontrollable urge to play dodge ball. Can't wait to try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete