Saturday, December 29, 2007

Uncle Harv

Today was Uncle Harv's funeral, and I learned so much about him! I've always liked him as long as I can remember, and I don't think I've never not known him. Harvey was my dad's uncle, and I don't know if that makes him my great uncle or super uncle or uncle once removed, but he was always part of the family. I'll always remember him at special family events like Christmas and Thanksgiving where he would be sitting somewhere happily engaged in a conversation with someone, his walking stick propped up to one side, and always laughing or telling an engaging story. For the longest time, and I don't know if he still had this when he passed away, he drove an old station wagon with the license plate "T SQ".
My most memorable experience with Uncle Harv was when his sister, my grandma, passed away. I was about 10 years old at the time, but I remember seeing him in tears as they were moving the casket away. He gently patted the coffin and in a low voice said "Take care sis". If anyone was first in line to see Harvey as he was welcomed to the other side it was his sister. Reflecting on some things that my dad said in his eulogy, we all need to remember to take the time to record our memories, our feelings and our history. I'm really bad at that, but I guess this blog is a good way to start.
For all the people that knew him, Harv was a great man to be around. He was loved, he will be missed, but he can still be our example. So good bye Uncle Harv, thank you for your love, your friendship, and your warm smiles.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, what you said when Harvey's casket went by makes more sense now.

    ReplyDelete